In this Remarkable Idea, students identify the different ingredients used and follow recipe directions to make Sunshine Shakes. Students can share their opinion on if they liked the shakes or did not like the shakes.
This activity addresses:
- Following instructions
- Measuring ingredients
- Group work
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
- Jelly Beamer
- iTalk2 with Levels
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 Cup or glas per student
- Shake ingredients
- orange juice (1 cup)
- pineapple juice (1/2 cup)
- banana (1)
- vanilla yogurt (1/2 cup)
- vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
1. On a Step-by-Step with the “recipe” picture/symbol, record the Sunshine Shake Direction Script.
- “We’re going to make refreshing, fruity Sunshine Shakes today!”
- “We’re going to take turns adding ingredients.”
- “First, somebody can measure out 1 cup of orange juice and pour it in the blender.”
- “Now someone needs to measure out 1/2 cup of pineapple juice and add it to the blender.”
- “We need 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt. Who would like to measure and add the yogurt?”
- “Who wants to peel a banana? Put the banana in the blender after it’s peeled.”
- “We need someone to measure out 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and put it in the blender.”
- “Now we’ll take turns using the blender to blend together all of the ingredients.”
- “When the shake is finished, we will pour it into cups for everyone and drink it”.
2. Plug the blender and the Jelly Beamer into the PowerLink 4.
3. Create a large “shake” picture/symbol card.
4. Create “like” and “don’t like” pictures/symbols, two inches in size. Place one on either side of the iTalk2 with Levels. Record the messages, “I like the Sunshine Shake” and “I don’t like the Sunshine Shake” on the respective message locations.
What to do:
1. Show students the “shake” picture/symbol card. Explain to students that they are going to make Sunshine Shakes.
2. Ask students to say what they think they will use to make a Sunshine Shake, and what a Sunshine Shake might taste like.
3. Show students the different shake ingredients. Students name or identify each ingredient.
4. Students take turns using the Step-by-Step to read each of the recipe direction steps to the class.
5. Students take turns following the directions to complete each recipe step. When the blender is needed, students activate the Jelly Beamer to turn on the blender and blend up the ingredients.
6. Students each drink a sample of the Sunshine Shake.
7. Students use the iTalk2 with Levels to say if they liked the Sunshine Shake of if they did not like the Sunshine Shake.
8. The teacher tallies on the board how many students liked the shake and how many students did not like the shake. The students count up the number of tallies under each different choice.