In this Remarkable Idea, students will make flower vases and paper daisies with a special message for Mother’s Day.
This activity addresses:
- Choice making
- Fine motor skills
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
* iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
1. If using a plastic bottle, carefully cut off the threaded top portion of it.
2. Write “I love you because…” somewhere on the vase and make sure to leave room for the student’s handprint.
3. Record different options for the students on the QuickTalker 12 or create a SoundingBoard. Some options could be: “you take care of me”, “you play with me”, “you are funny”, etc.
4. Cut petals for the daisies (approximately 1.5-in. ellipses, 45 per vase) using white construction paper.
5. Cut 1-in. circles out of yellow paper (unless you plan to make these using the computer)
What to do:
1. Begin by creating the vase using the milk chug bottle/vase/mason jar. Have students put paint on their hands and make a handprint, or two if there is room, on the vase. Allow to dry.
1. Using an iPad, the Blue2 Bluetooth Switch, and the camera app, take a picture of each student. Assign a camera operator to be in charge of taking each student’s picture. Don’t forget to take a picture of the camera operator as well!
2. Using the QuickTalker 12 or the SoundingBoard app, allow students to choose 4 phrases for the center of the daisies.
3. Using a computer, resize and print the student’s picture in the shape of a circle with a 1-in. diameter. Type the student’s chosen phrases and print them into 1-in. yellow circles, or write them in the center of the yellow circles.
1. Begin making the flower stems by rolling green construction paper around the pencils. These will need to be long enough to poke out of the vase. Make one longer for the student’s picture.
2. On the back of the flower centers, glue 9 petals on each center.
3. Glue the stems to the back of the flower centers. Place the flowers in the vase.
4. Crumple pieces of black construction paper and place your paper “dirt” in the vase.
5. Use a hot glue gun to glue everything in place.