In the Remarkable Idea, students will have great fun throwing a ball against the bowling pins to knock them down!
This activity addresses:
- Turn Taking
- Cause and effect
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
- iTalk2 with Levels
- QuickTalker 12
- PowerLink 4
- 8 Empty water bottles or bowling pins
- 1 ball
- 2 Pieces of wood approximately 6 feet in length
- Leaf blower
1. Connect the leaf blower to the PowerLink 4 (have power link set to timed and adjust to suit)
2. Connect the iTalk2 with Levels to the PowerLink 4.
3. Record cheering and words of comiseration on the iTalk2 with Levels.
4. Connect the iTalk2 with Levels to the PowerLink 4.
5. Record numbers 1-8 on QuickTalker 12.
6. Create your bowling pin picture symbol, iTalk2 with Levels, and QuickTalker 12 overlay using AbleNet’s Symbol Overlay Maker here https://www.ablenetinc.com/resources/symbol-overlay-maker/.
1. Place leaf blower on the floor and place pieces of wood to form a track.
What to do:
2. Record numbers 1 to 8 on QuickTalker 12 with overlay showing 1-8 symbols for numbers.
3. Set bottles/bowling pins.
4. Place ball near blower and use the iTalk2 with Levels the blower on and BOWL!
5. Count how many pins were knocked over and press the appropriate number on the QuickTalker 12.
6. Use the iTalk2 with Levels to either cheer or commiserate depending on the number of pins knocked down.
Record “Get set and go” on the QuickTalker 12.
You can record additional phrases like:
“Wow how many did I get?”
“That was great, can’t wait for another for another turn”
“Wow great shot”
“Ahh, that was close, better luck next time” DOWNLOAD PDF
Over the course of more than 30-years, we have discovered amazing ways people use AbleNet products to improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities. Remarkable Ideas take these amazing discoveries and provide activities that incorporate alternative methods of access to ensure each student can participate, learn important educational and life skills, and have fun.
About Remarkable Ideas