1. Write all the spelling/sight words on index cards or on the whiteboard (arrange words in a grid format).
2. Record all the spelling/sight words to the Step-by-Step.
3. Record a countdown on the BIGmack. When you get to zero, add a buzzing noise for effect.
4. Determine how many points a team will need to win, then using each Step-by-Step record points (one for each step). On the last point put a congratulatory message to the winning team.
What to do:
1. Separate students into two teams and choose a team to go first.
2. Choose a scorekeeper for each team or one scorekeeper for both teams.
3. Choose a timekeeper. They will be responsible for hitting the BIGmack and starting the timer for each student’s turn.
4. Teams or individuals from each team take turns pressing the Step-by-Step and looking for the random word given. Remind the timekeeper to start the timer.
5. If the student finds the word before time is up, their team gets a point using the Step-by-Step – remind the scorekeeper to add a point to that team’s total.
6. If the timer buzzes before they find the word, the other team has a chance to steal the point.
7. Continue until you are out of words or reach the point goal.
To add a level of difficulty, you can add misspelled words to the grid.