In this Remarkable Idea, students will use critical thinking skills to spell words from a grid of random letters.
- Critical thinking
- Language Arts
- Alternative methods of access
- iPad with SoundingBoard App or a QuickTalker 12 or QuickTalker Freestyle
- Step-by-Step (if competing and keeping score)
2. Find words in your grids and gather picture symbols to go along with the words to assist students by providing a visual aid if necessary. Two copies of each picture may be necessary, one with the word written below it, and one with just the picture.
3. Record numbers to the Step-by-Step (the range, 1-10, 1-20, etc. will depend on your class).
G1. ive each student in class a paper or project it so that all students can see the grid. Provide students with an iPad with SoundingBoard/QuickTalker 12/QuickTalker Freestyle.
2. Students take turns finding words in the grid; students using a communication device will spell out words they see.
3. Continue until the class cannot find any more words.
1. Split the class into teams and provide each team with a 9 x 9 grid (must be the same). Provide students with an iPad with Sounding Board/QuickTalker12/QuickTalker Freestyle with the same grid.
2. Set a timer for 3-5 minutes and have each team come up with a list of words they can find on their grid.
3. The team with the most words found wins that round.
If you want a complete list of possible words from your 9 x 9 grid, the website www.wordsolver.net can help with that.