Practical Tips and Strategies for Embedding AAC Into Daily Routines (On-Demand Registration)
Practical Tips and Strategies for Embedding AAC Into Daily Routines
Available March 30, 2023 – February 29, 2028 | 60 minutes | 0.1 ASHA CEUs
Although there are different types of assistive technology devices and applications available, it can be challenging to promote consistent use of these alternative communication tools during activities of daily living.
This presentation highlights research that correlates the consistent use of AAC devices with increased independent communication and describes strategies for incorporating AAC devices into children's daily routines.
Presenter: Deborah Akinyele Speech-Language Pathologist
Relevant Financial Relationship: Deborah is an employee at Voice Tech.
Relevant Non-Financial Relationship: Deborah has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Presenter Biography: Deborah Akinyele is a speech-language pathologist with over 15 years of experience working with individuals with complex communication needs in a variety of settings. She is passionate about supporting clients' independent access to communication tools that meet their individual needs and collaborating with caregivers to help shape environments that promote independence in all areas of clients' lives.
- Learners will identify the types of AAC devices and tools available to children with diverse communication needs
- Learners will identify the benefits associated with consistent use of AAC devices and tools for children with diverse communication needs
- Learners will identify at least one strategy that they can use to incorporate AAC devices and tools into children's daily routines
- Introduction (3 minutes)
- Overview of AAC Tools and Devices (2 minutes)
- Overview of Research: The Impact of AAC on Communication (15 minutes)
- Barriers to Consistency in AAC Use (5 minutes)
- Strategies for Incorporating AAC Use into Daily Routines and Activities (8 minutes)
- Case Study (10 minutes)
- Q&A (20 minutes)
Audience: Assistants, Public/Consumers, Students, Early Career Professionals (under 5 years), Related Professionals
Topic Area: Augmentative and Alternative Communication
ASHA CEU Requirements: Must complete the post webinar assessment with 80% accuracy. Unlimited attempts are allowed. Partial credit is not available.
Accessibility: Please email ableU@ablenetinc.com if you require any additional accessibility support. We will be happy to work with you!
Complaint: We strive to provide professional development that highlights today’s best practices. If you have complaints/concerns regarding ableU please contact ableU@ablenetinc.com. We will review the complaint or concern. When appropriate, we will take action to address the issue within 10 business days.
Refund: Refunds are not available for free sessions.