Children w/ ASD: Understanding & responding to the Communication Behavioral & Social Characteristics (On-Demand Registration)
Children w/ ASD: Understanding & responding to the Communication Behavioral & Social Characteristics
Available March 6, 2023 – February 29, 2028 | 66 minutes | 0.1 ASHA CEUs
Children with autism spectrum disorder tend to process and respond to information in the environment in unique and unusual ways which frequently present challenges to educators and families. This session will illustrate how to better understand the characteristics of children with ASD and the underlying factors that contribute to their problem behaviors in order to provide individualized supports and interventions to maximize their academic, social, and behavioral outcomes. This session is part one of a three part series.
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Understanding & Responding
- Setting and Student-specific Interventions for Children with ASD
- Transform Transition Meltdown to Calm-down: Strategies for Children with ASD
Presenter: Padmaja Saraty, Author & Educational Consultant
Relevant Financial Relationship: Padmaja is self-employed at her non-profit Parent Engagement for Active Child Enrichment (PEACE).
Relevant Non-Financial Relationship: Padmaja has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Presenter Biography: Padmaja is an educational consultant and author with expertise in the fields of early childhood and special education, inspiring educators through her webinars, onsite coaching, and workshops at conferences globally. She has graduate degrees in special education, educational diagnostics, and political science.
Padmaja has written multiple books and mini-guides focusing on autism, significant and multiple disabilities, paraeducators, early childhood, mindfulness practices, special ed legal compliance. Early on, she was a diagnostician and has served as special education supervisor in Texas school district. Learn more at http://www.infinitepossibilities-sped.com/.
She is the founder/president of a nonprofit called Parent Engagement for Active Child Enrichment (PEACE). PEACE (www.peacenurtureskids.org) mission is to empower parents/caregivers and early childhood educators with hands-on strategies to enrich children and put them on a positive school and life trajectory.
- Identify common characteristics of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Identify underlying factors that often contribute to problem behaviors
- Identify individualized supports and interventions that can maximize academic, social, and behavioral outcomes
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- Characteristics (6 minutes)
- Student #1 Case Study (13 minutes)
- Student #2 Case Study (4 minutes)
- Understanding Characteristics (4 minutes)
- Creating an Action Plan (1 minute)
- Student #3 Action Plan (17 minutes)
- Student #4 Action Plan (5 minutes)
- Partnering with Families (6 minutes)
- Summary (2 minutes)
- Q&A (3 minutes)
Audience: Assistants, Early Career Professionals, Related Professionals, International Affiliates, Speech-language Pathologists
Topic Area: Autism Spectrum Disorders
ASHA CEU Requirements: Must complete the post webinar assessment with 80% accuracy. Unlimited attempts are allowed. Partial credit is not available.
Accessibility: Please email ableU@ablenetinc.com if you require any additional accessibility support. We will be happy to work with you!
Complaint: We strive to provide professional development that highlights today’s best practices. If you have complaints/concerns regarding ableU please contact ableU@ablenetinc.com. We will review the complaint or concern. When appropriate, we will take action to address the issue within 10 business days.
Refund: Refunds are not available for free sessions.