This is a quick Remarkable Idea you can add to the beginning of your daily routine.
This activity addresses:
- Awareness in the classroom
- Cause and Effect
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
- BIG or LITTLEmack
- Note cards/paper
- Container/Mystery Bag/Magic Hat
1. Record the word of the day (or week) to the BIG or LITTLEmack.
2. Record a definition to each of the TalkingBrix. One should be the correct definition; the other two should be fake.
3. Write the word on a note card or write it on a few cards so when students choose a word, they feel like they are choosing from a large group.
4. Create overlays using the AbleNet Symbol Overlay Maker app.
What to do:
1. When the student pulls the word of the day from the Mystery Container, have them read the word or press the BIG or LITTLEmack.
2. Use the word in a sentence for the students, and then challenge them to find the correct definition from the three TalkingBrix.
3. Have students activate the TalkingBrix, one at a time, so they can hear each definition. Then they must find the correct definition.
4. For the rest of the day, the students should be Word Detectives. If they hear the word used in class; they cannot use it themselves, they can press the BIG or LITTLEmack to remind the rest of the class what the Mystery Word of the day is. Keep track of which student is the best detective each day; they can be the one to pick the word the following day.
If the word warrants it, you can add an action or sound to be used in conjunction with the word.
-If the word is leap, students can jump when they say it.
-If the word is onomatopoeia, students can give an example of the definition; Boom.