In this Remarkable Idea, students can take be part of the school talent show. Whether that be introducing the acts through a communication aid, or looking after the special effects. Here a Student can control the background pictures for the show as students perform.
This activity addresses:
- Cause and effect
- Visual follows
- Turn taking
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
1. Create symbol for the switch showing Projector using the AbleNet Symbol Overlay Maker app
2. Create symbol for Step-by-Step showing singing using the AbleNet Symbol Overlay Maker app
3. Record script on Step-by-Step
The script really depends on the acts taking part, but examples could be:
- “Let’s all welcome on stage _______ who’s going to perform for you a song called ________”
- “Let’s all give a big hand in appreciation for a great song there by _______”
What to do:
1. Check the acts and scripts and design a PowerPoint slide show around this.
2. Connect the projector, computer, Step-by-Step and switch to the Hitch 2. It’s important at this time to connect the switch to the correct port on the Hitch 2 and assign the Hitch 2 to the correct function for changing the slides.
3. Record the introduction of acts on to the Step-by-Step.
4. The student can now use the Step-by-Step to introduce the acts and the switch to change the slide show at the appropriate time. These tasks could be split and done by two students if more appropriate.