In this Remarkable Idea, students decipher clues and respond with answers as they prepare for an upcoming test.
This activity addresses:
- Study skills
- Turn taking
- Critical thinking
- Alternative methods of access
What you need:
- QuickTalker or iPad with SoundingBoard app
- All-Turn-It Spinner
- Jelly Bean switch
- Sticky notes
1. Write the names of key people, events, or theories to be studied on the blank side of the large All-Turn-It Spinner overlay.
2. Write a clue or question pertaining to each of the overlay entries on a sticky note; then cover each item written on the overlay with the note.
3. Record the answers on the QuickTalker or iPad with SoundingBoard app. You can record more than one answer per question.
4. Create overlays using the AbleNet Symbol Overlay Maker app.
What to do:
1. A student can activate the All-Turn-It Spinner with the Jelly Bean switch to randomly choose a clue or question.
2. When the All-Turn-It Spinner stops, read the clue written on the sticky note. The student then identifies the item he or she thinks it pertains to using the QuickTalker or iPad with SoundingBoard app to reveal the answer.
3. Students take turns reading clues and providing correct answers.
4. When a clue is chosen a second time, students can add new information to what has already been revealed and take another spin.
Use this activity for independent or small group study activities.
Use a team format, dividing the class into two groups for friendly competition. Assign a number to each team and write the numbers on the small, blank overlay. Randomly select the group to respond with a spin of the All-Turn-It Spinner.